February 2023 Annual Conference Session
Your Guide to the February 18th Session
February 3, 2023
On Saturday, February 18, 2022, a Special Annual Conference via Zoom Webinar will be held.
At 8:30 a.m., an optional Q&A will be held for any members who have questions concerning the Special Annual Conference.
At 9 a.m., the Annual Conference session will convene to consider the ratification of 34 local churches that seek to disaffiliate from The United Methodist Church over matters of human sexuality using Paragraph 2553 of the Book of Discipline.
Information for Annual Conference members:
- View the Disaffiliation Reporting Guide (updated with local church cities and counties on 02/16/23) This guide includes the agenda for the Annual Conference session, the list of 34 disaffiliating churches and their statistics, and a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document about disaffiliation.
- Log in information to the Annual Conference session was sent to Annual Conference member emails on February 13 and will be re-sent Saturday morning. These credentials will allow members to both join the 8:30 a.m. Q&A and 9 a.m. Annual Conference session.
- In order to access the Annual Conference session, each voting member needs to have their own unique email address. (Voting members cannot share an email address and both vote at the Annual Conference session).
- The Annual Conference session will be using the Zoom Webinar platform. All devices capable of accessing this platform will be able to log on and vote during the session whether Apple or Android phone, tablet or laptop/desktop devices.
- Members should contact Zoom Support during the February 18 Annual Conference should they need technical assistance at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us.
- A livestream will be available to non-members to view the proceedings. The link will be made available at https://vaumc.org/ac2023feb/ closer to the event.
- Persons wishing to make a motion during the Annual Conference should submit their full motion into the Q& A feature of the Zoom webinar during the 9 a.m. session.
Questions concerning the Special Annual Conference may be directed to the Rev. Dr. Steve Summers at [email protected].
All Annual Conference-related information will be posted on the Virginia Conference website at https://vaumc.org/ac2023feb/.
Skunk on the Table episode discusses disaffiliation
Skunk on the Table is a video, podcast and article series with a focus on simple and clear conversations about topics of interest to the Virginia Conference and denomination. In the second episode of the series, Bishop Sue shares her thoughts on disaffiliation, advice…