All God’s Children Camp 2021 Virtual 5k Fundraiser
It’s that time again for our 2nd annual Virtual 5k fundraiser for All God’s Children Camp. You can run/walk this race anytime on August 21 or any date and time that suits you! Don’t forget to take a picture of yourself and share it on our All God’s Children Camp Facebook page with the hashtag #agcc5k. Click the link below to register and help support camp as we break the cycle of incarceration! For more information contact Lori Smith at email@example.com
What is All God’s Children Camp?
As a ministry of the Virginia Annual Conference, All God’s Children Camp is a week long overnight camp for children ages 7 to 12, with an incarcerated parent. Campers have an opportunity to participate in all the physical activities the camp has to offer such as boating, swimming, hiking, archery, music, crafts, Bible study, along with a conflict resolution/self esteem building class. AGCC is built on the basis of a one to one mentoring program where campers have an adult who walks alongside them for the week cheering them on, building them up and encouraging them daily. Partnering with Virginia United Methodist camps and other ACA camps across the state, All God’s Children Camp provides a week of sanctuary for children who face so many challenges in their lives such as economic poverty, temporary living conditions, loneliness, low self-esteem, violence and drugs along with while working to break the cycle of incarceration. All God’s Children Camp is a place where children learn they are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God and they are truly ‘somebody’!
Mentors Needed for All God’s Children Camp
All God’s Children Camp will be here before you know it and we are in need of mentors next summer. We will need 90 mentors total, 30 for each camp, both male and female. Please consider giving a week of your time and mentor a camper whose mother or father is incarcerated. You will get a chance to just pour out some love on your camper, engage with them during bible, arts and crafts and worship. You can also encourage them through the week as they learn new activities the camp has to offer. For more information, please contact Lori Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or 571-245-9591. You can find the application at the bottom of this page.
Thank you from Lori Smith, camp director
Stories from 2019 Mentors
Mentor Story 1 – A special time from camp was the day we went zip lining. For many of the campers, this was their first time to zip line. Some of the campers went across with no issues but there were a couple who needed some extra time to get over their fear and pick their feet up and go. It was great to see the patience and encouragement the campers received from the other mentors, campers and the camp staff. In the end, they overcame their fears and made it across with smiles on their faces. Another stand out moment was the dance party we had on the last night. It was great to see all the smiles and hear the laughter of the campers and mentors having a fun time together. I remember thinking that I hope the kids would hold on to this memory, a night where they could let go of their worries and fears and just have fun being a kid.
Mentor Story 2 – My experience at AGCC was an amazing experience. Just being there giving each camper the extra love was a Blessing. I know I came home with so many memories I can never forget. The kids was awesome along with all the mentors. The love we gave to everybody was amazing. I know when it was time to come back home I wasn’t ready. I’m so ready for next year to come. Thank you so very much to Beth and Lori for what you two do to get AGCC to come together. You both done an amazing job as always. Can’t wait for next year.
Video from Camp
Click here to view a video.
How to volunteer
There are many ways you can volunteer for camp and we definitely need all the help we can get. Below are all the ways you can get involved. Please contact Lori Smith at email@example.com or by phone, 571-245-9591 if you would like more information.
1. Prayer. Please pray for Camp Chanco and Occohannock on the Bay as they receive All God’s Children Camp this summer. Please pray that we have 90 folks sign up to be mentors for our 3 camps. Pray that those mentors will be the hands and feet of Jesus for our campers. Also, pray for all staff members of All God’s Children Camp as they prepare for an awesome summer. Lastly, pray for the campers, that their lives may be transformed in and through Jesus.
2. Sign up to become a mentor. It will change your life! There is nothing like spending a week in the outdoors with some awesome kids who just want to be loved on. The dates are listed below.
3. Get a group together to provide supplies for our campers. All the supplies that are donated get to go home with the campers. These include bed sheets, pillows, toiletries, blankets and other goodies. Please contact Lori for a full list of supplies.
4. Sign up to drive campers to camp. This is a big need! Most of our campers are unable to provide their own transportation for various reasons. So about 90% of them will need a ride to and from camp.
5. Monetary donations. Thanks to the support of you and our local churches, campers have the opportunity to come to camp at no cost. Without you, this would not be possible. The cost to send one child to camp is $425.00. Donations should be made payable to All God’s Children Camp and can be sent to: Virginia United Methodist Conference, P.O. Box 5606, Glen Allen, VA 23058, Attn: Becky Tate.
Need More information?
Lori Smith, Director
The VA Conference UMC
PO Box 5606, Glen Allen, VA 23058
On-site Coordinator for Camp Chanco on the James
On-site Coordinator for Occohannock on the Bay