All God’s Children Camp Virtual 5k Fundraiser
Join us for a Virtual 5k fundraiser for All God’s Children Camp. You can run/walk this race anytime on August 15 or any date and time that suits you! Don’t forget to take a picture of yourself and share it on our All God’s Children Camp Facebook page with the hashtag #agcc5k. We hope you will take this opportunity to support camp as we help break the cycle of incarceration. Click the link below to register: https://runsignup.com/Race/VA/GlenAllen/AGCC5K
Cancellation of All God’s Children Camp 2020
The All God’s Children Camp board met and it is with a heavy heart that we will be canceling camp for this summer. This decision was not made lightly but felt this was the best decision we could make given the circumstances and information we have regarding COVID-19.
There are still ways you can help support camp for 2020. Please pray for our staff, our mentors and our campers who will be missing their yearly reunion with each other and will be grieving camp life. Please pray for our staff as we think outside of the box to show our campers that we are still here for them and support them during this time. Another way to support camp is by monetary donations. While we do not have the expense of actual camp weeks, we will be sending materials, resources and supplies and care packages to all of our campers to help spread the love of Jesus while we are apart. We appreciate your continued prayers and much needed support as we help break the cycle of incarceration.
We look forward to our continued work together and for summer camp in 2021! Thank you to all that have and continue to support All God’s Children Camp. If you have any questions or concerns please contact Lori Smith and 571-245-9591 or email@example.com.
What is All God’s Children Camp?
Children, ages 7 to 12, with an incarcerated mother or father, spend a week at camp, participating in activities such as boating, swimming, hiking, archery, music, crafts, Bible study, and conflict resolution. Partnering with Virginia United Methodist camps, All God’s Children Camp provides a week of sanctuary for children who face so many challenges in their lives: economic poverty; temporary living conditions; loneliness; low self-esteem; violence; and drugs.
Mentors Needed for All God’s Children Camp
All God’s Children Camp will be here before you know it and we are in need of mentors next summer. We will need 90 mentors total, 30 for each camp, both male and female. Please consider giving a week of your time and mentor a camper whose mother or father is incarcerated. You will get a chance to just pour out some love on your camper, engage with them during bible, arts and crafts and worship. You can also encourage them through the week as they learn new activities the camp has to offer. For more information, please contact Lori Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or 571-245-9591. You can find the application at the bottom of this page.
Stories from 2019 Mentors
Mentor Story 1 – A special time from camp was the day we went zip lining. For many of the campers, this was their first time to zip line. Some of the campers went across with no issues but there were a couple who needed some extra time to get over their fear and pick their feet up and go. It was great to see the patience and encouragement the campers received from the other mentors, campers and the camp staff. In the end, they overcame their fears and made it across with smiles on their faces. Another stand out moment was the dance party we had on the last night. It was great to see all the smiles and hear the laughter of the campers and mentors having a fun time together. I remember thinking that I hope the kids would hold on to this memory, a night where they could let go of their worries and fears and just have fun being a kid.
Mentor Story 2 – My experience at AGCC was an amazing experience. Just being there giving each camper the extra love was a Blessing. I know I came home with so many memories I can never forget. The kids was awesome along with all the mentors. The love we gave to everybody was amazing. I know when it was time to come back home I wasn’t ready. I’m so ready for next year to come. Thank you so very much to Beth and Lori for what you two do to get AGCC to come together. You both done an amazing job as always. Can’t wait for next year.
Video from Camp
Click here to view a video.
There are many ways you can volunteer for camp and we definitely need all the help we can get. Below are all the ways you can get involved. Please contact Lori Smith at email@example.com or by phone, 571-245-9591 if you would like more information.
1. Prayer. Please pray for Camp Chanco and Occohannock on the Bay as they receive All God’s Children Camp this summer. Please pray that we have 90 folks sign up to be mentors for our 3 camps. Pray that those mentors will be the hands and feet of Jesus for our campers. Also, pray for all staff members of All God’s Children Camp as they prepare for an awesome summer. Lastly, pray for the campers, that their lives may be transformed in and through Jesus.
2. Sign up to become a mentor. It will change your life! There is nothing like spending a week in the outdoors with some awesome kids who just want to be loved on. The dates are listed below.
3. Get a group together to provide supplies for our campers. All the supplies that are donated get to go home with the campers. These include bed sheets, pillows, toiletries, blankets and other goodies. Please contact Lori for a full list of supplies.
4. Sign up to drive campers to camp. This is a big need! Most of our campers are unable to provide their own transportation for various reasons. So about 90% of them will need a ride to and from camp.
5. Monetary donations. Thanks to the support of you and our local churches, campers have the opportunity to come to camp at no cost. Without you, this would not be possible. The cost to send one child to camp is $425.00. Donations should be made payable to All God’s Children Camp and can be sent to: Virginia United Methodist Conference, P.O. Box 5606, Glen Allen, VA 23058, Attn: Becky Tate.
Lori Smith, Director
The VA Conference UMC
PO Box 5606, Glen Allen, VA 23058
On-site Coordinator for Camp Chanco on the James
On-site Coordinator for Occohannock on the Bay