(See paragraph 268 in the Book of Discipline)
- Take BASIC and Spiritual Gifts through Lay Servant Academy or a district lay servant training.
- Take all four modules for CLM training, either through the VA Conference or BeADisciple.com
- Obtain recommendation from your Church Council or equivalent body
- Obtain recommendation from your Local Pastor
- Receive the recommendation of District Superintendent
- Complete a State Background Check- instructions to follow
- Complete an Expanded Background Check-instructions to follow
- Complete the Biographical Form 102 from the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM): https://www.bomlibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Updated-Form-AA-102-Biographical-Information.pdf
- Attend a Candidacy Summit
- Two summits are offered each year, one in-person in July, one virtually in January
- After all Modules and Paperwork are complete fill out your final application
- Meet with your District Committee on Ordained Ministry
If you are approved by your DCOM as a Certified Lay Minister, in order to maintain your CLM status you must renew your certification every two years.
- Written recommendation from your Church Council or equivalent body
- Verification of attendance of one Continuing Education event where CEU’s were awarded.
- Written Recommendation of the District Superintendent
- Written report answering a series of questions related to your ministry.