A diverse group of representatives from United Methodist advocacy groups with contrasting views and bishops from around the world has collaborated on a proposed agreement for the separation of The United Methodist Church (UMC) that has the unanimous support of all the parties involved. The agreement, the Protocol of Reconciliation & Grace Through Separation, was achieved on December 17, 2019. District Listening Sessions on the Protocol are being scheduled in the coming months.
Last updated 03-10-2020
Alexandria and Arlington District
This event on March 11, 2020, is designed to help both clergy (10:00 a.m.) and laity (7:00 p.m.) hear from two different perspectives as we head toward General Conference. The Rev. Tom Berlin and the Rev. Keith Boyette will offer remarks about the Protocol of Reconciliation and Grace through Separation and will participate in a Q&A.
Location: Annandale United Methodist Church, 6935 Columbia Pike, Annandale, Virginia 22003
Clergy Session: 10:00 a.m-12:00 p.m. | Laity Session: 7:00-9:00 p.m.
If you would like to ask a question of Tom and Keith, there will be a link to a separate form in your confirmation email. This will allow you to ask your question anonymously. Click here to register and send in questions.
Eastern Shore District
Come gather around the table with District Superintendent Alex Joyner to hear about plans coming before the 2020 General Conference including the Protocol for Reconciliation and Grace through Separation. Join in a time of discussion and prayer for the work of The United Methodist Church.
• Sat., April 4, 2020, 9-11:30 am @ Craddockville UMC, 33464 Boston Rd., Belle Haven, VA 23306
• Sat., May 2, 2020, 9-11:30 am @ Market Street UMC, 75 Market Street, Onancock, VA 23417
Reservations: https://www.easternshoredistrictumc.org/prayer–protocol-breakfast.html or call the Eastern Shore District Office at 757-665-6295.
Click here to download a flyer (pdf)
Elizabeth River District
Martha Stokes, Lay Delegate to General Conference, will lead the following town halls:
• Wednesday, March 25, 7 pm, Heritage UMC, 815 Baker Rd, Virginia Beach
• Saturday, March 28, 9:30 am, Larchmont UMC, 1101 Jamestown Crescent, Norfolk
• Wednesday, April 22, 7 pm, Monumental UMC, 450 Dinwiddie St, Portsmouth
• Saturday, April 25, 9:30 am, Jolliff UMC, 1900 Jolliff Rd, Chesapeake.
All of the events will start at 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come.
• Wednesday, March 11 — Mt. Laurel UMC, 8077 Newbill School Rd, Clover 24534
Rappahannock River District
• Laity Presentation (geared toward laity but open to all): Sunday, March 22 at 2:00 pm (Wright’s Chapel UMC, 8063 Ladysmith Rd, Ruther Glen, VA 22546) with Ms. Martha Stokes and the Rev. Keith Boyette.
All clergy in the conference are invited to attend a “Digging Deep in the Dialogue” event hosted by the Richmond District and the Virginia United Methodist Foundation. It will be held April 15, 9:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Woodlake UMC, 15640 Hampton Park Dr, Chesterfield, VA 23832. Do you have questions around the Protocol? Do you seek to understand its implications? Do you wonder what will happen if the Protocol doesn’t pass? Do you wonder what the UMC might be like if the Protocol would pass? Come to this event to learn, discuss and hear from clergy, a mixed panel of General Conference delegates, and others from around the Virginia Conference. Lunch will be provided so please register by going to http://www.richmonddistrictumc.org/digging-deep/
Click here to download a flyer (pdf)
All laity are invited to join District Superintendent Steve Summers for a time of Dialogue and Desserts. All events will take place from 3:00 – 5:00 in the church Fellowship Hall.
• Sunday, March 22 – Bethany UMC, 100 W. Main St. Purcellville, VA
• Sunday, April 26 – Kernstown UMC, 3239 Valley Pike, Winchester, VA