Each district will continue hosting district-wide collection events, at each designated sites. District coordinators will coordinate this event prior to the Annual Conference gathering in Roanoke. The Annual Conference team will establish a plan to pick up all the UMCOR kits and send them to Mission Central, Mechanicsburg, PA, which serves as one of UMCOR’s Supply Depot.
What will we collect?
- UMCOR Kits – We will be collecting the three official UMCOR Relief Kits. Instructions on how to assemble the kits will be found below.
Instructions to pack UMCOR Kits
- Foods and district-specific items – Cans and dry food will be collected and shared with local ministries. Some districts might have district-specific collection item that was identified by the need of a local organization. Please contact your district coordinator in the box below.
- When do we collect these items?
Local churches are encouraged to start collecting 4-6 weeks (mid-May) before the District Collection Event. Resources such as promotional materials, videos, and bulletin inserts will be shared.
Where do we send the $2 for transportation?
- UMCOR asks for $1 per kit ($3 for cleaning buckets) to cover processing and shipping and $1 for toothpaste for each hygiene kit. Please do NOT bring checks to the Annual Conference. All checks (for processing and shipping, for toothpaste, and in lieu of providing kits) should be made payable to “Virginia Conference UMC,” earmarked for “kits (Advance #5041)” and mailed to Treasurer, Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 5605, Glen Allen, VA, 23058 any time prior to Annual Conference and no later than August 31.
Can we contribute money instead of collecting kits?
- If you prefer to make a financial contribution to enable UMCOR to purchase relief kits, you can contribute $75 for each cleaning kit; $12 for each Hygiene kit; $24 for each Menstrual Kit to Advance #5041.
- If you prefer to make an online contribution Click here
Who do we need to contact for information specific to our District?
- Each District assigned a District Mission Coordinator to coordinate the missional effort of the Annual Conference Mission Opportunities #Collecting Together. The District Mission Coordinator will share more information regarding the designated sites for drop off and detailed list of items to collect. The list of District Mission Coordinators can be found below.
District Site Information
- Coastal Virginia
- Living Waters
- Mission Rivers
- Mountain View
- Northern Virginia
- Three Notch'd
- Valley Ridge
804 Gammon Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23464
Saturday, June 3, 9am – 2pm
- Western side – Farmville UMC(212 High Street, Farmville, VA 23901) will collect kits Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am-1:00 pm (enter off Randolph Street). The deadline for kits is Monday, June 5th from 9:00 am-1:00 pm. Questions? Contact Rev. Susie Thomas [email protected] or call (434) 392-4686.
- Eastern side – Living Waters District Office(11605 S. Crater Rd, Petersburg, VA 23805) will collect kits on Mondays and Tuesdays from 9:00 am-4:00 pm. The deadline for kits is Monday, June 5th from 9:00 am-4:00 pm. Questions? Contact Tish Borden [email protected] or Thelma “Peanut” Watts [email protected] or call (804) 732-2538.
We’ll have three sites on June 3rd (Sat) from 1 to 3 pm.
- Heritage UMC @ 582 Leesville Rd, 24502, Lynchburg
- The Mountain View DIstrict Office @ 824-A Starling Avenue, Martinsville, Virginia 24112
- Brosville UMC @ 121 Long Circle, Danville, VA 24541
Duncan Memorial UMC
210 E. Main St
Time: 9am – 12noon
Manor Memorial UMC
9320 N. Congress St.
New Market, VA 22844
Time: 9am – 12noon
2333 Hilliard Rd
Henrico, VA 23228
Saturday, June 3
10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Culpeper UMC (upper parking lot in front of HUB shed)
1233 Oaklawn Dr.
Culpeper, VA 22701
Saturday, June 3
10 am – 12 pm