The Virginia Conference asks United Methodists to continue in prayer as the tragedies caused by the humanitarian crises in this world are witnessed. All are called to pray for those who are mourning (Romans 12:15). Use the prayer resources during worship that were shared through the recent statement by Bishop Lewis. Ask church members to share prayers for the people so that others may use them in daily prayers.
Offerings can make a direct impact in the relief effort.
Give directly to UMCOR to its International Disaster Relief Fund (#982450). Click here to give online.
Checks may be sent to the Conference Office, PO Box 5605, Glen Allen, VA 23058. Please indicate it is designated for UMCOR International Disaster Relief.
To directly support the relief effort through Eglise Methodiste d’Haiti (EMH), please send your check to the conference office (memo: Haiti Relief Fund).
Click here to give online to the conference’s Haiti Relief Fund.
There are many organizations involved in the effort to support refugees fleeing from Afghanistan. Consider giving to any of these following organizations, recommended by the State Department.
• Episcopal Migration Ministries
• Ethiopian Community Development Council
• International Rescue Committee
• Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services
• United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
• U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants
Discover ways to serve by helping people in crisis as the hands and feet of Jesus.
- Afghanistan https://vaumc.org/resources-to-help-afghan-refugees/
- Haiti – Join the prayer vigil this coming Thursday, July 26, at 7 pm on the conference’s Facebook and YouTube pages.
- Join the effort to collect medical supplies to Haiti