The Board of Ordained Ministry receives applications annually between July 1 and August 15, 2022. Please read the following information carefully, and we look forward to hearing from you as you respond to God’s continued call in your ministry.
Overview of Instructions and Requirements
• For all Conference Relationships: What to Expect at BOM Interviews (pdf)
To learn more about particular conference relationships, click on the links below
• Certified Candidates and Local Pastors seeking Provisional Membership (pdf)
• Provisional Members seeking Full Membership (pdf)
• Local Pastors seeking Associate Membership (pdf)
• Professional and Para-Professional Certification (pdf)
Click on the links below to apply for the different types of Conference Membership and Certifications:
– Provisional Deacon:
– Provisional Elder:
– Full Membership and Recognition of Orders:
– Associate Membership:
– Professional/Paraprofessional Certification in Specialized Ministry:
As confirmation of receipt for the above submission, you will receive an email and further instructions through the PassageUMC database of all the steps you will need to complete including the expanded application packet. This packet will contain detailed instructions and specific deadlines for your papers, materials, and interviews with the Board of Ordained Ministry.
Who Can Help Me Prepare for the Interviews?
Informal Advisors Link: https://doc.vaumc.org/MinServices/InformalAdvisoryVolunteersUpdated12-2021.pdf
A number of our past and present candidates have asked about informal advisors who would be willing to be contacted about reading papers, participating in mock interviews and generally being helpful about sharing their experiences in applying for Full Membership and Ordination. This list of ordained clergy have volunteered to serve in this capacity.