Luther Grant Smith, 1917-1990
The Rev. Luther G. Smith entered the United Methodist ministry as a local pastor through the West Virginia conference, Romney District, in June 1965. He was ordained deacon in 1967. He and his wife, Mildred, who preceded him in death November 15, 1988, began their ministry in service to the Baker, West Virginia Charge, which consisted of five congregations.
In June, 1970, they moved to Kimball, West Virginia in the Bluefie1d District where they served a three-point charge for five years. They then returned to the Romney District where they served four churches on the Mathias Charge. They remained there until
1977 at which time they moved to Front Royal, Virginia. In the Winchester District from 1977-79, they served the Warren Charge in Front Royal. During 1980-81 they became semi-retired, but remained active doing supply work throughout the district. In 1982, they returned to full-time service on the Laurel Hill-Chestnut Grove Charge.
When they officially retired from the Virginia conference, they moved to Ocala, Florida. In 1987 they returned to the area in which they spent their childhood and many of their young adult years, Allegany County, Maryland.
They are survived in death by a daughter, Donna Minnick, Front Royal, Virginia; a son, Luther, Jr., Columbus, Ohio; two granddaughters, and one great-granddaughter. Luther remarried following Mildred's death in 1988. He is therefore also survived by his wife, Marguerite J. Smith.
Luther, along with his wife, was committed to the work and service of his Lord with every fiber of his being. He was an outstanding role model for his children and everybody with whom he came in contact. The world is a better place as a result of the gift of his life.
-Luther G. Smith, Jr.