Wasena F. Wright Jr. Conference Merit Awards
Click here for Guidelines (pdf)
Click here for Nominee's Form (Word)
For over 25 years, several hundred students from the Virginia Conference have received awards from the Wasena F. Wright Jr. Virginia Conference Merit Award program. These students were young people from churches just like yours who were nominated by their local churches, district Council on Ministries, or District Youth Council. All of them have benefited from the financial support that these awards bring. With the coming of the new year, it is our pleasure to inform you that it is time once again to receive nominations for the Conference Merit Awards. These awards are made possible by the General Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministry and range from $500 - $1,000 per award.
1. Each nominee must be a senior in high school and plan to attend a United Methodist college or university in the Fall of 2013.
2. Each nominee must be nominated by either their local church youth council, the Administrative Board, Council on Ministries or administrative council, or they may be nominated by their District Youth Council or District Council on Ministries.
3. All information on the application must be completed. Several signatures are required. The District Superintendent does not have to sign if the nominee is nominated by the local church, but must sign if the nomination is from the District COM or the District Youth Council.
4. The nominee's picture must be attached to the application.
5. It is important for the local church or district to select one person who will take responsibility for overseeing the nomination process - working to ensure that all nomination forms and letters of recommendation are returned to the Ministries with Young People Office by the Feb. 25, 2013, DEADLINE.
6. IMPORTANT: There are three areas of participation. (1) Local Church and Community, (2) Local Church and District, (3) Local Church and Conference. NOTE - There are cases where a nominee has not participated in all three of these areas. Please attach a sheet that lists the ones you have been active in. Whether it is in one, two or all three areas, your application will be given careful consideration.
Mail completed application form to:
Merit Award Committee
P.O. Box 5606
Glen Allen, VA 23058
Attention: Derrick Parson
Director, Ministries with Young People
For information call Derrick Parson at (804) 521-1100 or 1-800-768-6040, ext. 135, or e-mail DerrickParson@vaumc.org
To use the online forms, open the file and save it to your computer. Fill out the forms (Word), print, and mail to the address above.
Higher Education Home Page
Campus Ministry Reporting Forms
Finanical Aid for Virginia Conference-Related Schools (pdf)
Scholarships and Financial Aid (United Methodist Higher Education Foundation)